We spend a lot of time in our beds. According to an article by the NY Post, we spend nearly half of our lifetime lying around in bed. While we sleep, we expose our mattresses to all kinds of things – dead skin, dust, dirt, sweat, saliva, and more.
As a general rule, you should clean and sanitize your mattress at least twice a year. While disinfecting a mattress can be a challenge, it’s an important step in keeping your home fresh and clean, and ensuring you and your family stay healthy. An unhygienic mattress leaves you vulnerable to unwanted pests and can expose you and your loved ones to illness-causing germs and bacteria.
Besides keeping you healthy, making sure your mattress is clean and sanitized can help you get a better night’s sleep and be more productive during the day. A well-maintained mattress will last you for years and can save you tons of money on costly replacements.
Platinum Star Services knows how to keep your home clean. Keep reading to find out the best way to make sure your mattress stays clean, safe, and sanitized. All you’ll need to keep your mattress clean and disinfected are common products you most likely already have in your home.
Different types of mattresses respond differently to certain cleaning products and procedures, so always be mindful of what you’re applying to your mattress. For example, memory foam mattresses are notorious for having negative reactions to chemical cleaning products. If you have a memory foam mattress, it’s best to use very small amounts of a natural homemade solution to clean and disinfect.
The most important thing to remember when cleaning your mattress, no matter what type of mattress it is, is to avoid applying too much liquid. Water or cleaning products can easily seep down into the inner layers of your mattress, where they can be hard to get back out. When mattresses get wet and are not properly dried, mold and bacteria can start to grow.
- Remove and wash bed linens.
- For fresh spills and stains, blot up as much liquid as you can using clean microfiber cloths.
- Spot-treat any stains on your mattress using mild colorless dish soap and cold water. Apply the solution to a clean microfiber cloth and dab, don’t scrub.
- Use the upholstery attachment on a vacuum cleaner to remove dust, dirt, dry skin, and other debris from the mattress. Pay special attention under and around any seams and folds in your mattress.
- To get rid of any unpleasant odors, sprinkle a generous layer of baking soda over the top of your mattress. If you can, leave this to sit overnight, or a least for a few hours. For an even more powerful disinfecting clean, open the windows and allow the sunlight to reach your mattress. UV light from the sun helps to kill any harmful germs and bacteria. Remove the baking soda using your vacuum.
Making sure your mattress stays clean and free from germs and bacteria will help you and your family breathe and sleep easier. Platinum Star Services offers top-quality home cleaning services. If you are ready to let go of the house cleaning chores and gain back some of your valuable free time, give us a call today.